Saturday, April 6, 2013

From Ola

Hey world. My peers have said I must tell you an awesome story about Ronald and I. I've just been having the toughest time writing it. I really don't know where to start from... There's too many memories. Do I start from when we first got to school and I was complaining about the fees I paid for extra luggage and Ron came to me and said, "You think that's bad? I paid $400 just for my bike alone." What about the time he was in Rhiz, Roseline, and Akash's apartment, and Rhiz mentioned sex and Ron ran OUT! LOL He came next door to my place out of breathe and I didn't know what happened until they explained the story to me. This man was guarding his heart! Or do you guys want to know about how Ron would tease me every time I would fall asleep during histology lectures and buy me skittles to make sure I'd stay awake. Or the time when I asked him how he studies and he said, "I don't know Ola. I'm really trying. I just look at the answers and pick which one looks best... process of elimination you know?" and then he got straight As that semester and made the dean's list. Lol that's our Ron. Always down playing his brilliance. He was definitely a humble guy.
hahaha! Roseline told you all about when we returned from break and I asked Ron about the "ladies!" LOL Ron was a flirt. ALL the ladies in our class loved him. So I imagined the same would be at home in the states. I did laugh when he said he was a born again. I told Roseline about the "joke" and when she told me he was serious, I caught Ron outside of the classroom during lectures, gave him the biggest hug and wished him happy birthday! LOL He was caught off guard and shy and said the tiniest "thanks." 
There was also the time when him and Roseline came to my apartment for the first time. They were in the neighborhood and Ron just wanted to say hi. Unfortunately, they interrupted my afternoon nap and I wasn't a  kind Ola that day. It was strange to me that Ron simply just wanted to stop by! I wasn't very accustomed to gentlemen, apart from my father then. Ron was truly an awesome guy.

My hair is natural and from time to time I just wear it as an untamed afro. LOL Ron would come to me on days where my hair was unruly and shout "OLA?!?! What's happening?!" and then he would pick the tiniest part of my hair out! LOL I hate when people touch my hair but with Ron, I gave up! LOL He would never listen to whatever explanation or excuse I had. But our entire class knew when they heard, "Ollaaaaaaa!" Ronald was looking for me.
A few people saw me while I was deeply mourning and asked if he was my boyfriend and why was I so touched? LOL NO Ron and I did not date! He was my brother. If you met Ron too, you would be just as hurt as we have been. To stay awake in class, I started going for walks and Ron would join me once in a while and we would talk. He would often talk about Delly! He'd show me her pics and tell me how he really cared for her. The previous girls didn't matter to him anymore. We would talk about God's awesomeness. We would share testimonies. We would talk about our dreams and what they meant.
There's a handful of us... Comfort, Roseline, Irene, Carolyn... we would pray together. I mean all night prayers. Deep in God's presence. We would fast together! We studied together. If Ron wasn't with Olu and Dave and his soccer buddies, he was with us. After being in class all day together, he would get home and skype us! LOL
There was a particular week we spent in fasting. I got home and was drained and took a nap. By the time I got up, I went to Roseline's to eat and I found some egusi stew. She told me it was Ron's and I couldn't have it. I asked her which Ron is she keeping food for? "Is it not my own brother Ronald? He'll get here and we'll eat the food together." Ron showed up shortly afterwards and I told him I was hungry and the egusi is what I wanted to eat. He first gave me a hard time as always but then we all sat down and ate together, like a family. It's strange, but for his birthday. I suddenly became a soldier! Everything had to be perfect. We spent allllllll day cooking and cleaning! I was ready to fight anyone who tried to interfere with the arrangements that we planned. Now it makes sense, it would be Ron's last birthday. We want him to know he was and still is LOVED.

See, there's just too many wonderful memories. I've already written a book. Sometimes, I still find myself crying when I think about him. It's just soo hard to accept that I won't see that smile on rotation. We won't be doing stupid online assignments together. We won't be thinking and contemplating on how to pay tuition. We won't be tutoring students together again. He won't be tutoring me again! lol It will be a while before I hear "Olllaaaaaaaaa" and see that smile again. Read the other stories. He's touched soo many lives. You'll see Ron was truly a phenomenal guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your donations, prayers, and kind words! May such tragedies be rare and distant!