Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Our Number One Forward!



this pic was taken July 7th. The first time the team had won a game in  yearss.
Of course, Ron was our number one scorer!

I remember when I first came to SJSM in Sept 2012, and all I wanted to do was play soccer. At the time, no girls played on the team, and never had. Kat, at the time, was practicing with them, but wasn’t playing in the games. Brigham invited me out to try it out, so naturally I was nervous. I have played with men before, and was well welcomed and accepted, but I didn’t know any of these guys, and I didn’t know what perspective they would take having a girl on the field. All that aside, I took a chance, and felt I really had to work a bit harder to prove myself, because I figured they would figure I would be a “weak” link, as most women can’t play sports at the same level as men.

My first game, I sent in a cross, which Ron hit, and scored off of. At the time, I had no idea who was who, and who got that goal, but I was happy we scored. Later that week, I was offered a ride from a classmate when I need to get out to Hato in the afternoon. Ron was driving, and Faith introduced me to everyone in the car, 3 of them being players. Ron pipes up “I know Amy! She assisted my goal the other night.” Everyone complimented me on that, and it was then that I really felt welcome, and accepted on the team.
Throughout my time of the team with him, I began to realize what a great sense of humor. Anyone that knows me, knows that I have a ‘big appreciative laugh’ and if you ever heard me out there laughing, during warm-up or on the side line, it was usually because of Ron. Whether he was chirping someone, encouraging, or telling ‘House’ he was going to sell him on E-bay, he kept us laughing.




Our last game we played, a few weeks ago, I wasn’t able to play due to an ankle injury, but I was on the sidelines cheering on my teammates. We hadn’t yet had a win this season, and we really felt we could take on home that night. I said to Ron, before the game began: RON! I need a hat trick out of you tonight! He laughed and said “OK!” I was serious! I knew he could make it happen. And, into the second half, he had scored 2. He came off the field to rest, and I said to him: RON! I need one more goal! I said a hat trick! Get back out there! He told me “I’m tired! I’m too old for this!” I said: NO, you’re not! Get out there, and get me another goal! He looked at me and said “I need you out there to help. I can’t do it without you!” At that moment I realized, Ron wasn’t just one of the best players SJSM ever had, or one of the funniest, he was also one of the sweetest. He really knew how to make someone feel special. I will miss him, but I am really happy I have the memories of him that I do have. When I think of him, I feel sad for a minute, but then I remember how great and funny he was, and I smile.
Forever in our hearts,
Amy
xoxo


PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO DONATE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your donations, prayers, and kind words! May such tragedies be rare and distant!