Friday, April 5, 2013

Sweetest Surprise

 It was one of those days that I spoke aloud in the student lounge to no one in particular, and if I got a response, great. I was like "man, I love fried plantains, I can't seem to find them, I don't know how to pick nor prepare them, I'm craving them badly." People shared their cravings, but no mention on how to attain fried plantains. 
 Later that evening around 7p - I heard a strangers knock on my door. I recognize my friends by their unique knock, but this was different. I asked who it was & it was Ronald. I opened the door & he held out plantains saying "I hear a lady really loves fried plantains." I had a smile ear to ear. I felt so special, A TRUE FRIEND indeed. I didn't own a proper cutting knife, he went through my knives and was in disbelief that all I own are bread knives that I use for everything. "What?! I only know 2 knives, this one, and a butter knife." He was impressed actually, lol. He was like, "you are a very smart girl but I have a lot to teach you it seems." We peeled them and he said, "cut them for me please, while I prepare the meat." "But I don't know how to cut platins." "Show me how you do it." They slipped and slid out of my hands, I couldn't make a proper cut - he was laughing the whole time as I struggled, saying "let me get you a butter knife before you hurt yourself." He then asked me to move aside and showed me how to do it. He put the plantain in his palm in a manner which it did not slip, and he was ever so graceful with the knife as he cut perfect slices. I said "OoOoOoOoO" the whole time while he worked, watching intently. "Crazy girl." And while I was heating the oil, he had the biggest smile on his face & a smart remark on his lips, "I can't believe I'm teaching a lady how to cook! Never in my life would I have dreamt this." He smiled his birthday smile and shook his head. I understood he didn't mean it the sexist way but I teased him anyway, "hey Ronald, if anyone heard you right now, they would call you SEXIST!" He was like "how is that sexist!?" I played devils advocate & I busted his chops, but he never let up - he argued and argued to make his point. He just didnt get how a well versed cook like myself didnt know kitchen basics or etiquette. Then I laughed and surrendered in defeat - "I never went to culinary school, my mom never made me do chores or i never asked her to teach me to cook, I just woke up one day & decided to cook." It was just fun making him sweat. I've had the pleasure and blessings of having friends do wonderful things for me, but "I hear the lady really loves fried plantains" is at the top of my list :)
----
Still Smiling
Fatima

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your donations, prayers, and kind words! May such tragedies be rare and distant!